4 April 2012

walnut and banana loaf

I've been trying to hunt down a delicious banana bread recipe for a while now but none have met the mark. I was hoping for one with a similar consistency to one you would get from your local Woolworths or Zaraffas coffee but they all end up to cake like or the healthy ones to dry. I was recently searching through my cookbooks and I found this delicious banana loaf recipe in one of my Jamie Oliver books; the same cook book that I found that delicious lamb shank recipe as well as the gorgeous sponge cake that I'm yet to share with you.





I added around a cup of dark chocolate chips as Josh enjoys anything with chocolate, although the loaf is fine without them. He described this cake as "a delicious banana bread that is almost suited for dessert due to the chocolate chips." I froze the leftovers of this cake and he enjoyed taking them as a treat for his long days at uni.




Walnut and Banana Loaf


recipe from Jamie's Great Britain 

Ingredients

100g walnuts
500g bananas - 5 or 6 of them
125g butter at room temp
125g brown sugar
2 eggs
200g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb soda
1 tsp cinnamon
a pinch of salt


Preheat oven to 170c. Toast the walnuts in the oven for about 5 mins before roughly chopping them and setting aside. Mash up the bananas to a smooth and chunky consistency and put them aside. 

Cream the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time ensuring they are well combined after each addition. Add the bananas and walnuts, then sift in the rest of the dry ingredients and mix until you have a nice smooth batter. 
Line a loaf tin with baking paper before spreading the batter into the tin. 
Bake for approx 1 hour or until browned and cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment